Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Some Goods from the Garden

Well, we don't quite live where we have yard space for a garden. For the past 4 years we have tried to used our greenhouse to learn and every year it has been ripped apart by the cats in our neighborhood.
Anyway, this year, my husband's parents allowed us plant in their garden. We took advantage of that! It's only a 2 minute drive from our house and a great reason to go over and visit.
My husband brought home some goods one day that were ready to be picked. The kids picked strawberries; and strawberry picking has become a favourite thing for the kids. They also brought home some zucchini and broccoli. Oh my, heavenly!
So, our first strawberry pick brought us about 8 pounds of berries which was turned into jam. The last pick was more than this cool whip bucket. I decided I was going to make Strawberry Sauce from the blog Our Best Bites. Oh my, it was heaven. I can't wait to go saskatoon picking and make some up with that. It will be nummers!
 So, here are our pickings!
What you need to do with the strawberries, if you are making sauce is SUPER easy. I mean, so easy it was crazy!!
Take the stems off your berries and chop. You don't have to get them super small, but you will be cooking them and then pureeing them (which I didn't get a picture of... sorry) eventually.
 I had some store bought strawberries that were looking a little sad, so I plopped them into the bowl as well.
Afterwards, put them in a pot with about a good amount of sugar... I used maybe a cup (I will post the actual recipe below) and some almost extract.
YES, I just said ALMOND. You can also use vanilla. I won't judge you.
Cook them up until it looks a little saucy and you can break up the strawberries with the spoon.
 After that, let you berries cool slightly and then place in a blender.
Puree to your desired consistancy and place in a jar.
This freezes great, as well.
I had enough for 1 quart jar.
Let if cool before you place a lid on it. Mine sealed itself.
 We have enjoyed our syrup straight up, on french toast and pancakes, and also on ice cream and angel food cake.
Now for the recipe from Our Best Bites

Strawberry Sauce
1 pint of strawberries
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp almond extract of vanilla extract.

As for the zucchini... my wonderful mom brought in her food processor and I grated it up. I have 7 1/2 cups in my freezer ready to go for bread, meat balls and anything else I want to hide this super food in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...