Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Colorful Birthday Party

So, we just had Jillian's first birthday party. It was fun. But if you want to know about it, you can see it on my personal blog HERE.
We're here to discuss crafty baking stuff.
So, the cake was SUPPOSE to be a 7 layered rainbow cake. Well, I stopped at 5 layers and then had to make the cake into 2 cakes (one became a three layer cake; the other became a two layered cake).
The cake was Vanilla Sponge; perfect for a little one to pick up and NOT made a huge mess.
The filling was crushed pineapple and whip cream.
And the icing... oh the icing... it was wonderful. It is literally called "the best icing I've ever had".
I will post recipes below.
One of the cakes. I used Wilton color sugar since I have TONS in my cupboards.

The other cake. Jillian blew out the candle on this cake.  It's a smaller cake, so I thought it would be perfect.
And to the two cakes together. Literally wouldn't fit in my fridge 1 cake. And, so you know that I am not perfect and still learning, I found a few globs of coloring gel, that would be the dark green spot. The kids loved it since it colored their mouths.
The birthday banner I made using my Silhouette SD. I am loving this machine!
Okay, so for decorations I just made the banner and a matching birthday card. This banner will be used for Emily and I will make a special boys banner for Aiden. I used my Silhouette SD. This is the funnest machine.

Okay, recipe time!!
Vanilla Sponge Cake
Recipe from the Martha Stewart website.



Ingredients

  • Unsalted butter for pan
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour plus more for pan
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 4 large eggs separated
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • Pinch of salt

Directions

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.Butter a 9-inch-square baking pan. Line pan with parchment paper, and butter again. Flour the pan, and set aside. In a small bowl, sift together flour and cornstarch; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg yolks, vanilla, and 1/2 cup sugar on high speed until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. Transfer the egg-yolk mixture to a large bowl. Wash and dry the mixer bowl and the whisk attachment.
  3. Combine egg whites and salt in the mixer bowl, and beat on medium speed until whites hold soft peaks, about 1 1/2 minutes. With mixer running, slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Continue beating until stiff and glossy, about 1 minute.
  4. Fold the egg-white mixture into the egg-yolk mixture. In three additions, fold the reserved flour mixture into this new mixture. Transfer the batter to prepared pan, and smooth the top with an offset spatula. Bake until a cake tester inserted into middle comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool; turn out cake, and wrap it in plastic wrap until ready to use.
    *NOTES: I made this recipe 4 times over. To make this into a rainbow cake, dye your batter 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups at a time (I dyed my batter 2 cups at a time and it made the layers way too thick).*

    Crushed Pineapple and Whip Cream filling.
    Ingredients
    2 cups whipping cream
    1 can crushed pineapple-- drained.
    Directions
    Whip the cream to stiff peak stage and fold in the pineapple.
    When filling the cake, make sure you pipe in a damn of icing BEFORE putting the filling in.

    The Best Frosting I've Ever Had
    Recipe from MissyDew at Tasty Kitchen
    Ingredients
    5 tbsp flour
    1 cup milk
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup butter
    1 cup granulated sugar (not powdered sugar)
    Directions
    In a small sauce pan whisk together flour and milk and heat, stirring constantly until it thickens... like brownie batter. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.  It must be COMPLETELY cool. Add in vanilla.
    Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. You don't want any sugary graininess left. Add cooled milk/flour/vanilla mixture and whip it until it resembles whipped cream... it has to be completely whipped together and not looking like it is separating. If it looks like it is separating then keep going.
    Ice your cake and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...