This recipe is super yummy (or, if you ask Aiden, they are superly delicious).
I made them with the kids this morning, so no step by step photos.
But they had fun.
We used the hand beater instead of the trusty Kitchen Aid stand mixer, too.
It was a fun choice!
Okay here's the recipe!
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup of evaporated milk
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup all vegetable shortening
1/4 unsalted butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups grated apple
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine.
1. Preheat oven to 350*F (180*C). Grease or line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. (I used 2 pans!)
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In separate bowl, mix evaporated milk and yogurt.
3. In a separate bowl, beat shortening butter, and sugar together until light and fluffy. add in eggs, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla.
4. With mixer on low, add flour and yogurt mixtures to shortening mixture, starting and ending with flour mixture and scraping down between each addition. Fold in apple. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
5. Bake for 20-25 mintues, or until firm to the touch. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
6. TOPPING: In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon. While muffins are still hot, brush with melted butter. Roll each muffin in cinnamon sugar until thoroughly coated. Best served warm.